Friday, 3 June 2016
Team Valkyrie performed its first rocket launch named Valyrie XS to perform some systems test, as they work towards its main objective, launch a rocket with wings.
Specifically, today were tested 6 systems on de main rocket:
- Structural resistance: the fuselage built from scratch similar to air plane techniques, performed well.
- Motor block: Performed better than expect, it successfully dissipated the energy of the second blast of the motor without receiving permanent damages.
- On board electronics: they worked until the take off, high accelerations could have disconnect the battery.
- Automated launcher: need a complete revision to get rid of shortcuts.
- Automated parachute deployment system: the main parachute failed to open, it was stuck in the compartment, the complete system is being revised.
To sum up, 3/6 systems worked successfully well, the other need to be improved. We had learnt important lessons for future launches; there is still a lot of work to do!